I need another project like I need a hole in the head, but ...
I assume plugins need to be written in Perl? Is there some basic
info/template available to get some kind of "skeleton" plugin up?

I did it again... I've started the plugin in a spare hour I had before I had to rush out to pick up kids :-). I can browse by Era/Year, down to the shows and play them. No metadata or other navigation so far. Unfortunately I forgot to take it home. But I'll put it up on Github tomorrow. You can use it as a skeleton to add more browse modes. Just let me know what part you'd like to pick up.

--

Michael