On 10/04/2018 03:48 PM, enh wrote:
> yeah, and right now we have exactly one macro for which we need this...
>
> ...and an alternative fix would be to just drop the UUCP feature from
> getconf. GNU getconf doesn't support it (somewhat obviously), and
> Android is always going to say "no", and i'm not expecting a great
> UUCP renaissance any time soon where it suddenly becomes relevant
> again.

Trimming the UUCP feature sounds fine to me, although I need to revisit the
whole mess of:

http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/getconf.html
http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/sysconf.html
http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/confstr.html

At some point...

Possibly what I need is an #ifdef/#else staircase for all those symbols in a
header file, which can be generated once from the actual posix spec and then
ignored. (I don't care about ugly in header files. I just don't want the data in
two places that have to be kept in sync...)

> (but i'm still interested to see that's even possible with the
> preprocessor. i've long believed it wasn't.)

Preprocessor combined with the ? : operator working on a constant first argument
so the test optimizes out, maybe? (If C11 or C18 had added _is_defined(x) and
macro_or_default(x, y) instead of all the useless nonsense it _did_ add, I'd
care a lot more about them...)

But at the moment I'm tired after a long day of sitting in a cubicle and trying
to work through company politics and history to figure out what (if anything)
the technical requirements for various Change Requests are, besides which I
shouldn't be thinking about this for another hour anyway. :)

Rob