On Thu, Sep 3, 2020 at 11:34 PM Rob Landley <r...@landley.net> wrote:

> On 9/3/20 10:02 AM, enh wrote:
> >     Isn't it 6 digits now? 999999 processes? (Didn't we have this
> discussion already
> >     about ps? In theory top inherits that code...)
> >

> > Yes, but my desktop has 7 digits (now at least --- I don't know whether
> my
> > desktop and laptop always differed like this, or this is from the ubuntu
> ->
> > debian switch).
>
> Are you willing to admit threads were a mistake yet? :)

to be clear, i only have 412 different pids on this machine. but the
current largest is 4116808. (the "mistake" is that pids are meant to be a
unique identifier but come from a small pool --- not having something like
pidfd since the 1970s.)

> > We could bump the hard-coded value again, but that seems like a lot of
> wasted
> > empty columns for small systems?
>
> I have confidence that a truly threaded system can hit 8 anyway.

well, someone will configure a system to use the full range of an int at
some point, yes.

> Alright, am I writing to the typos array already? That really looks like it
> should be in read-only memory but currently isn't, I forget why. (Vague
> "tried
> it and it didn't work" vibes but what specifically happened? I almost
> certainly
> have a todo item for it somewhere...)
>
> Pushed. Try now?

yeah, lgtm on both a phone and a "real computer". thanks!