On 10/27/21 7:27 PM, enh wrote:
>     >     > yeah, you just need the `ln -s`s.
>     >
>     >     The ones under:
>     >
>     >         if [ ${TARGET_ARCH} = x86 -o ${TARGET_ARCH} = x86_64 ]; then
>     >
>     >     Which apparently don't have a corresponding arm version?
>     >
>     > yeah, i don't have an arm host that's faster than a phone anyway.
>
>     Building AOSP on a raspberry pi 4b should be a feasible thing to do?
>

> https://www.raspberrypi.com/products/raspberry-pi-4-model-b/specifications/
>
> <https://www.raspberrypi.com/products/raspberry-pi-4-model-b/specifications/>
>
>     It's 4xSMP@1.5 ghz, can have 8 gigs ram,
>
> i mean, i love my rpi400, and it's probably the most fun i've had with a
> computer since the 1980s, but you don't want to build anything significant on
> it. it's very noticeably an order of magnitude slower than my 10 year old
> personal x86 laptop.

Huh, haven't got a 4 yet. Why on earth are they pulling 2 amps if they don't get
significant performance out of it?

>     and storage shouldn't be an issue
>     either (Walmart is currently claiming to have a 2TB usb3 stick on sale
> for $12,
>     and amazon says a 1TB sd card is $30. Can't vouch for either, but I
> bought a
>     512G sd card at Target that works fine so far?)
>
> and i'd strongly recommend against doing anything on an sd card --- the few
> times i've thought i've killed my rpi400 have actually been asking it to do
> something i/o intensive on an sd card. most of the time you don't notice
> they're
> awful, but try something "medium heavy" like checking out the linux kernel
> onto
> an sd card and, well, it isn't pretty...

Years ago Rich Felker found a bug in the raspberry pi sdcard driver (some kind
of missing locking I think?) that would occasionally just STOMP the transaction
and lobotomize the card. I have no idea if it ever got fixed.

Rich: did that fix ever go upstream?

(Pi had a terrible habit of eating sd cards which we made darn sure Turtle would
not. We were using a pi as a VOIP server until it ate its SD card.)

>     It would be a "run overnight" kinda thing, but I don't think I've ever
>     personally owned a system that's _not_ true for...
>
> i hope that's not actually true... even a several year old laptop can build
> AOSP
> in a few _hours_. hell, i have a MacBook "Pro" that can build AOSP in a few
> hours, and between their awful keyboards and their general slowness those
> things
> have a special circle in hell reserved just for them!

I could try timing a build... hmmm.

Every time I build android I have to look up how to do it again. "make clean"
said not to do that, sourcing the env setup and then running make clean freed up
50 gigs but then "time lunch aosp_arm64-eng" ran for 5 seconds and did nothing
but spit out a bunch of environment variables, one of which said it was writing
into "out" (which https://source.android.com/setup/build/building also says) and
"git log out" said wasn't a thing (and repo log isn't a command, and repo help
doesn't show anything like "log") so I tried "rm -rf out" and ran lunch again
and it it made no difference (still 5 seconds, did not recreate the out
directory, no obvious error message), and I think I need just blow away the aosp
dir and download it all again at this point following the instructions from an
earlier stage, and that's a task for the weekend.

(It may have gotten mad because I moved the aosp dir to a different place since
the last time I ran a build? That's why I was trying to do a clean. Not a
problem to wrestle with at 3am on a work night...)

Rob