On 2/22/23 15:52, enh wrote:
> i've sent a patch upstream (with you cc:ed) anyway. (patches still
> seem to get in without michael kerrisk --- it's "just" web site
> updates that don't happen.

Apparently he handed off maintainership:

  https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-man/msg24435.html

And indeed, he's listed as comaintainer at:

  https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/maintaining.html

I dunno what the keys are for updating kernel.org/doc/man-pages. Many moons ago
(http://landley.net/hg/kdocs) I used to maintain kernel.org/doc but I lost
access after that whole kernel.org breakin and the move to kgit or whatever that
nonsense was, since I could no longer rsync https://landley.net/kdocs up to the
site.

I at least made puppy eyes at konstantin until he hacked up something for
https://kernel.org/doc/html/ and https://kernel.org/doc/Documentation/ and so on
to update, and hey, he even salvaged the README finder, cool. Although my
https://web.archive.org/web/20120121090059/http://www.kernel.org/doc/menuconfig/
Horrible Python Script was beyond him and he wound up just removing that...

Anyway, back when I _did_ have access I created a man-pages subdirectory that
Konstantin chowned so mkerrisk could write to it, but I dunno what he used to
update it? Especially after I lost the ability to do so. (They wanted me to do
some sort of "check your thing into git and it'll do an automated git checkout",
and I was going "you took down Greg KH's 2 gigabyte tutorial video so I was
gonna mirror it until it could get better hosting, do you really want that
permanently in the git history even after I delete it again?" I blogged quite
sarcastically about this at the time...)

Ha, the c99 html link is a bit stale there. I mean it's still there, but dude...
Oh, the "legacy reasons" link moved, I'll ping konstantin. Huh, several of the
links further down are broken now, not sure what to do about the linux-journal
archives. The individual articles are still there but the index isn't...

> which is pretty debilitating for anyone who
> doesn't have a local git clone of man-pages.git, which is "basically
> everyone" :-( )

The new guy says it moved to:

  https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/docs/man-pages/man-pages.git/

>> Good grief, the Bell Labs Unix v1 was the ONLY 6-bit version of Unix, V2 was
>> the
>> port to PDP-11 (in 1971) and they NEVER LOOKED BACK. Their 1974 paper
>> announcing
>> Unix to the world contains the string "8-bit" but not the sting "6-bit":
>>
>>   https://dsf.berkeley.edu/cs262/unix.pdf
>>
>> This is one of those "a child of 5 could understand this, fetch me a child
>> of 5"
>> things, isn't it?
>
> eh, i suspect even rob "7 year rule" landley would have agreed to keep
> this crap way back when.

And despite that I got dinged by somebody wanting 10 years!

> the bug is probably that it took us so long
> to remove this cruft. (though we've had bytes are 8 bits for a while
> now, and c23 finally guarantees two's complement!)

Oooh, does it? That's nice. Does this mean the stupid compiler "optimizing" out
explicit checks for signed integer overflow will STOP DOING THAT?

Rob