>At runtime the two configs are merged essentially.

This isn't occuring. I need to manually remove lines from the local
trac.ini file to make the global trac.ini file settings take effect. Is
that the way it's supposed to be, or should the global trac.ini
settings be used upon local trac.ini creation with initenv ?

Also, thanks for clearing up the runtime aspect. I thought the only
thing that was supposed to occur was a merge during initenv. As things
stand right now there really isn't much of an issue, but I try to get
everything I can out of my tools and having an initial merge would save
me a step.