On Thu, Apr 09, 2009 at 08:27:59AM -0400, Chris Nelson wrote:

> Greg Troxel wrote:
> >    2. Task A is composed of tasks B and C.  A's estimated time is the
> >    total of B's and C's.
> >
> > This makes sense, and I think it would be good to have support for
> > this independent of a gantt plugin.
>
> Yes.  I agree.  It would be a nice piece of separate functionality that
> a Gantt plugin could require.  Shall we call it CompositeTicket for the
> purposes of discussion?

I've always like SubTasks, but nomenclature aside, its functionality that I've
wanted for a long time (or more correctly, that other people have repeatedly
asked for).  Ideally, I'd like to see this in core, but since I know that's
unlikely, at least as its own plugin that other plugins could consume.

> > nit: Task A might have hours for A, in addition to subtasks B and C.
> > You might want to ban this by policy, but it makes sense for some
> > people.
>
> If A is do B and C and spend time coordinating them, I'd argue that that
> coordination is task D.  (Though I admit that time might be concurrent
> with A and B.  Maybe the solution is to pad tasks B and C for the
> management overhead in coordinating them.)  But I really wouldn't want
> to have time in a task that's decomposed into other tasks.
>

> > In the requirements, it's not clear to me if the scheduling is
> > supposed to be resource aware or not.  ...
>
> That's a good question.  As long as it's isolated in a plugin and not
> tangling up the core, I don't know that it's a bad thing that the Gantt
> plugin is resource aware.  Or maybe there's a Resource Leveling plugin
> that requires the Gantt plugin.  (And a Project Management package that
> bundles TimingAndEstimation, MasterTicket, CompositeTicket, Gantt, and
> Resource.)
>

> >    3. Tasks A and B start at the same time
> >    4. Tasks A and B must end at the same time
> >
> > I don't think this is realistic from the reality point of view.
>
> I have an associate who's a certified project planner and he couldn't
> come up with examples of those uses either, though he confirmed that
> they are considered valid to project management weenies.

Weighing in on this discussion late, I haven't used the GanttPlugin but am very
interested in time-tracking via Trac.  I co-wrote the TracHours plugin in
response to user-critiques of the TimingAndEstimation plugin.  Still, the
latter is more mature and TracHours still lacks much functionality.  I would
love to see a definitive solution to time-tracking in Trac and am willing to
contribute what I can in terms of expertise (and less so in time, unless it
becomes an organizational priority again) to this end.

Jeff