We've got a few internal tracs running and the performance has
generally been pretty bad. Today the cheif ninja's here managed to
track it down and page loads have gone from frequently 15+ seconds to
a second or two.

We're running Apache 2 w/ Python 2.5, Trac 0.12multirepos-r7684 under
mod_wsgi. Apache is doing basic auth with Kerberos against a windows
AD Domain. The database is Postgresql.

Using firebug it looked like a lot of time was spent loading CSS & JS
files. In an effort to improve performance we had the /chrome location
being handled outside of the wsgi process, directly by apache. However
this really didn't help.

What did help was a bit more tricky, but the difference is night and
day. We use ZXTM (http://www.zeus.com/products/zxtm/) pretty heavily
for load balancing, caching, etc. For demo purposes let's say one of
the Tracs is hosted at intranet.example.com. We had zxtm reroute
intranet.example.com/chrome to tracchrome.example.com/chrome - which
is an entirely separate apache vhost with no authentication. This
means that both zxtm and browsers will happily cache the heck out of
it. The performance difference is incredible. Now this may not be a
big win for other users - I think it's a particular combination of
Kerberos + Basic Auth + probably something else. However if we can
help just one other organization I thought I'd pass this tip along.