On 2009-05-12 09:23, yoheeb wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, is this a physical limitation (i.e, the help
> desk can't actually access the trac server) or some poorly thought out
> "shall not happen" restriction?

Neither nor. It's a well-thought "shall not happen"
restriction :~)

> The reason I ask, there are some plugins for CustomerSupport type
> tickets that limit what can be done for creating tickets.  Combined
> with other plugins like PrivateTickets, and also modifying
> permissions, you could easily limit "front desk people" to only
> creating tickets, and only seeing their own tickets, disallowing all
> coded, wiki, reports, etc. pages, and not even seeing tickets created
> by others.  Might be worth a look to see what can be done, and see if
> that fits within the intent of the "shall not access" edict's actual
> intent.

When we set up multiple trac instances we were completely aware
of private ticket and wiki page plugins. But the overhead of
managing this seemed (and still seems) to be relatively high
even compared to copying one ticket in a while manually from one
system to another. Note that both departments have also their
own wiki, SVN, etc.

Thanks for the hint anyway. I'm sure for many similar situations
your suggestion is be the best solution!