Not sure who wrote that bit of documentation, but it is entirely wrong. See https://coderanger.net/~coderanger/tracdoc/install/ mod_python.html

--Noah

On May 10, 2010, at 3:58 AM, akabat wrote:

Hi,

I'm just doing a Trac installation.
I'm running Trac on an Apache Webserver with mod_python on a Windows
machine. In the Trac Guide there is written this:

======================================
Generating the Trac cgi-bin directory ΒΆ

In order for Trac to function properly with FastCGI or mod_python,
you
need to have a trac.cgi file. This is an executable which loads the
appropriate Python code. It can be generated using the deploy option
of trac-admin.

There is, however, a bit of a chicken-and-egg problem. The trac-admin
command requires an existing environment to function, but complains
if
the deploy directory already exists. This is a problem, because
environments are often stored in a subdirectory of the deploy. The
solution is to do something like this:

mkdir -p /usr/share/trac/projects/my-project
trac-admin /usr/share/trac/projects/my-project initenv
trac-admin /usr/share/trac/projects/my-project deploy /tmp/deploy
mv /tmp/deploy/* /usr/share/trac

Now my questions:
1. Do i have to do that really? It works without that, too.
2. Whereto do I copy the generated directories? In my Apache
installation or in my Trac environment?

Thanks in advance!
akabat