On 06/21/2010 09:54 AM, Ben wrote:

I'm guessing I need to set smtp_user and smtp_password but do I really
have to type a plain-text password into my trac.ini file?

Only if the SMTP server you're using requires authentication. Typically, things are set up so:

(1) The server will relay to any address which it considers "local" without authentication. (So, for example, if it is a company mailserver, it will deliver mail to anyone within the company)

(2) The server will relay to any address as long as the originating machine is within a pre-approved list.

(3) The server will relay to any address as long as you're authenticated.

(4) Otherwise, relaying will be denied.

My guess is that the connection is closed because the server is actually saying 'relaying denied' and closing it... or it's requiring authentication for *all* connections.
--
SIXNET - Industrial and Wireless Connectivity
331 Ushers Road, Ballston Lake, NY 12019