Your question is somewhat vague and partly depends on your platform and if you
have a login but there is a very good online book about subversion [1] with a
whole section about basic usage and using the command line client to access a
respoitory [2].

[1] http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.7/index.html

[2] http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.7/svn.tour.initial.html

If you are on windows then TortoiseSVN [3] is one of the most recommended
subversion clients but pretty much any client will be able to access any
repository via https.  Being a valid user is not part of the svn client's
responsibility though!

[3] http://tortoisesvn.net/

Hope that helps,

~ mark c