On 2013-06-04 15:58, Grzegorz Sobański wrote:
> Is your real repository the same size? Have you tried testing it with a
> repository size more similar to your real needs?
> If your repository is of a more typical size it will work okish.

In fact, one of the repositories I have to support, will be the
Linux kernel (for working on some special drivers). For my setup
it would be possible to work in a different way, i.e. use the
Linux kernel as a tar.gz and the drivers as patches in git,
while other smaller software components could live "naturally"
in git. Not elegant, but possible.

> From what I remember reading the code some time ago - it won't.
> Performance problems (and wrong data with cache) are a result of Trac
> version control system being tightly dependant on the SVN model.
>
> GitCachedRepository is using an SVN cache, and its representation
> assumes linear (:D) order of commits.
>
> IMO without huge rewrite of GitCachedRepository and probably some parts
> of the not-cached version no gains can be achieved.

I see. So there are three options:
 - bribe Trac developers to solve the problem (my boss will kill
   me for the spendings)
 - avoid Git for now (my colleagues will kill me for having to
   stay with SVN)
 - find an alternative to Trac (I will kill myself for not being
   able to work with it)

Yesterday, I tried option 3 with Redmine, but at least in my
adhoc setup Git performance was much worse than Tracs. I have no
experience with Redmine, so maybe it was all my fault.

Anyway, from my perspective, Git has a huge momentum and - if I
like it or not - most developers I know, are already using it or
have plans to migrate. If Tracs support for Git does not improve
significantly in the short term, I fear, that people will move
to Gitorious or Gitlab. Both are based on Ruby - no hacking fun
for me :~(

Cheers