I believe what I am trying to do, is (almost) exactly this

[ticket-custom]

exists_in text
exists_in.format = list
exists_in.label = Exists_In
exists_in.multiselect = true
exists_in.options = [[MilestoneQuery(%rc_%,,)]]

where Milestone query returns the correctly formatted list of milestones.

-Andrea