On Tuesday, December 3, 2019 at 4:25:02 AM UTC-8, Mo wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 27. November 2019 09:10:51 UTC+1 schrieb Mo:
>>
>> Am Montag, 25. November 2019 16:39:05 UTC+1 schrieb RjOllos:
>>>

>>> He says in the ticket, that he doesn't want to take the time to publish
>>> to PyPI, so I think that's the answer.
>>>

>> Is it possible to host multiple versions on PyPI like a development and a
>> release version?
>> Would it be possible for such plugins that have no release cycle, to have
>> a generic development version on PyPI that is always a mirror of the latest
>> SVN revision? I mean does the author really need to run a command for every
>> PyPI release?
>>
>> Ok, alternatively this would be one of those plugins where I'm going to
>> add such a svn+http URI to the requirement_file pointing to the SVN
>> repository. But I guess with those links a '*pip2 list --user --outdated*'
>> or '*pip2 install --user -Ur requirements_file*' would not work, because
>> there is no easy way to check if there is an update on svn+http, only by
>> re-installing.
>>

> As I understand, he just doesn't like to publish to PyPI:
> https://trac-hacks.org/ticket/13706
>
> Jun Omae, would you mind that someone from the other developers just add
> the release to PyPI?
>
> Another idea could be that there is some developer would maintain a "Trac
> distribution" with a central package management, and not every single
> plugin developer needs to publish to PyPI. I mean after a developer has
> released a code on a repository, it's up to the Linux distributors filling
> their package repositories with stable and tested versions. So maybe
> someone would maintain all the PyPI distributions and not let every plugin
> developer need to push to PyPI.
>
> The situation that Trac packages are available on a general Python index
> called PyPI is not really required, can pip use a dedicated repo URL for
> install and search?
> Using svn+https://.. with pip has the disadvantage, that there is no *'--list
> --outdated*' possible and every '*install*' needs to re-install
> everything. Therefore I'm going to try to replace the last svn+https URLs
> from my requirement file and requesting for a release on PyPI.
>
> Best regards,
> - Mo

You mention more than once "some developer would maintain". The central
premise of your requests seem to be moving work from yourself to this
"other developer" so that you can run a simple command to update and
maintain your site.

Here is the hard truth: There are very few of us committing our time to the
Trac project and ecosystem. Our time is valuable. You have built a custom
site using Trac and a collection of plugins, and it's on you to maintain
the site and make everything work together. It's up to you to track the
changes that have been released, test (a staging site would be
recommended), and update the plugins for your site. There is no central
repository of packages that is maintained by "some developers", aside from
what is on PyPI, and it takes effort to publish packages.

We can dream of other solutions that would be better, but I don't have many
hours available, let alone the hundreds of hours that are required to
implement them. If you want to implement them, by all means go ahead.

You will have to do the work. If that's not okay with you, consider finding
a company to host your Trac and do the work, or migrate away from Trac to a
(paid) solution. Or maybe you'll find an open source tool you like better.
You may even find a better community.

If you want my recommendation: write a requirements.txt, write some scripts
for maintaining/upgrading your site and setup an RSS feed so you can track
changes to plugins as they happen on trac-hacks and GitHub. Setup a staging
site, pull in changes, test them and then deploy them to your production
site. That's what I do for the several track sites I maintain. It is work.