Daniel Krajnik <krajnik....@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Daniel,

> Thank you, I've upgraded doom's packages to the latest version, which
> bumped tramp up to version 2.6.1.1.
>
> I've tried looking for a way to upgrade it to 2.6.1.2 (package is
> managed by straight.el and doom's documentation doesn't mention that
> you can use release number instead of the hash commit), but this broke
> emacs and I had to revert back (thankfully all is backed by btrfs'
> snapshots).

Well, the difference between 2.6.1.1 and 2.6.1.2 is small. If you have
2.6.1.1 it would be OK.

> After restarting emacs daemon, I've tried to connect again (thinking
> that it's on version 2.6.1.1) and initially this time it worked.
>
> It did however produce the same backtrace errors, which revealed that
> tramp is still on version 2.6.0.29.1.

You can check the Tramp version by 'C-h v tramp-version'. You can also
check where Tramp is started from, by 'M-x locate-library RET tramp'.

>> It is the "prompting PIN" text I'm interested in.
>
> Because, ~/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf was configured to use
>
> pinentry-program /usr/bin/pinentry-gnome3
>
> gtk3 for pinentry (it's necessary when working with gpg in
> thunderbird) there was not output in the terminal - just the typical
> graphical window appears and login succeeds.

I see. In this case, Tramp is not involved, and I don't need to see
anything :-)

> Interestingly though if you change it to /usr/bin/pinentry (and
> restart gpg-agent) it fails:
>
> sign_and_send_pubkey: signing failed for ED25519 "cardno:000F
> 73AE79E9" from agent: agent refused operation
>
> I'm not sure why though?

Again, show the debug buffer produced with tramp-verbose 10.

Best regards, Michael.