Tim Landscheidt <t...@tim-landscheidt.de> writes:

Hi Tim,

>> However: I don't know Mock chroots in detail, but it looks to me like it
>> is something what could live in tramp-container.el. What do you think a bout?
>
> It probably fits quite nicely, but due to my preference for
> sticking to distribution packages, I'd need an interim solu-
> tion until Emacs 30 makes its way to my system. :-)

You don't. Tramp is distributed and updated also via GNU ELPA. The
current release on ELPA is 2.6.2.2. Later this year, likely end of June,
this will be Tramp 2.7, which could contain your package.

>> Why "2.7.1-pre"? This isn't a released version; I would depend on "2.7.1".
>
> Because I copied the version string from the wrong file; I
> changed it to "2.5.4-pre" (as that is what was and is
> shipped on Fedora 38).

In this case, I would say at least "2.5.3", which is a stable
release. "2.5.4-pre" is nothing one could determine correctly.

Fedora 38 comes with Emacs 28.3 (which is an unofficial Emacs
release). This is compatible with Tramp 2.7, which says

;; Package-Requires: ((emacs "27.1"))

So you can install Tramp from GNU ELPA without pain.

Well, it is up to you to decide, whether you want to inregrate into
Tramp proper, or distribute a standalone package. But in the former, you
would profit from fixes in Tramp automatically.

> Tim

Best regards, Michael.