Hi Michael,

As I understand it, only the file owner can run the chmod command on the
file, but my user is not the owner in this case. When I skip the call to
tramp-sh-handle-set-file-modes editing the file seems to work correctly.

Would it be an idea to check first if the user can run the chmod command
before calling the tramp-sh-handle-set-file-modes function?

Thank you,
Tijs