I have never believed that "the X.500 directory tree is the basis for all names in certs.," and you know that! Nor does that have anything to do with what I said in my previous email.

There's no reason for you to rebut my analysis. What is needed is for someone to write a description of the attack scenario that accurately describes the attack scenario DKG presented, and the text you proposed doesn't do that.

If my description of the scenario is so wrong, then please explain (in detail) how a relying party would be able to determine that there are two distinct intermediate CAs in this scenario and not a single CA that has been issued cross-certificates by two different roots (as depicted in my diagrams) and how that fits in with your response to Ben Laurie that:
A relying party validates a cert by walking down a cert pat from a trust anchor to
a target cert. In DKG's example, the two CAs with the same name have different
trust anchor parents, thus there are two distinct paths. A CRL (or OCSP response)
issued by a CA on one path is totally independent from A CRL (or OSCSP response)
issued by a CA on a distinct path.
What information (specifically) would appear in a CRL or OCSP response issued by a CA on one path that would make it distinguishable to a relying party from a CRL or OCSP response issued by a CA on the other path in the scenario DKG described?