Yeah. Exactly. The way I see this, the only function of the service
layer is to wrap calls to Transfer... which, frankly, is a bit
redundant for most applications.

Then again, I'm still giving this a lot of thought. "Real" OOP has
caught my attention lately mostly due to Joe Rinehart's ORM posts and
Hal Helms's responses... it's gotten me thinking about Hal's
objection to Transfer as a DB-centric device that's anathema to
"really good OO domain models". I also have no real training in
programming, so I tend to make a lot of this stuff up as I go. So
take this all for what it is (and what it's worth): My own (probably
uninformed) take on what I see as valuable in application
architecture. I'll be the first to admit that a lot my observations
over the last 2 years have met with some strong resistance from
friends and colleagues, so it's hard to know if I'm being less a
follower of entrenched thinking than they are or if I'm so far off
base that I should be locked in a padded cell and the key ground to
powder. ;)

So yeah, maybe I've a screw loose... it's happened before, but I am
thinking that if Transfer is acting as both the object factory for
business objects and the persistence API it sort of makes a more
traditional service/persistence mechanism, well, redundant. If the
controller is doing nothing but pulling values from the event and
dumping them into the service layer and then pulling data from the
service layer and pushing them to the view, where's the value in
having service classes and DAO and/or Gateway classes?

I guess what I'm thinking is that if you have all the behavoirs the
application needs encapsulated within the domain objects and the
those objects are all served up and persisted by Transfer, what value
is a separate service layer and CRUD layer? This has far less to do
with OOP than it does stable application architecture. I know even
Mark uses the DAO/Gw pattern and the Manager pattern (albeit referred
to as Services), but I'm starting to wonder if that's the right
direction. I have to read some more and talk about this with some folks.

Thoughts?