I'm not familiar enough with Mach II to tell you specifically, but I do know
that most of the frameworks have a method available whose purpose in life is
to take the incoming event arguments and automatically populate a bean.
Model Glue has it's "makeEventBean" method, Coldbox has it's
"beanfactory.populateBean" method. Here's a sample from my Coldbox app
(using Transfer) to accomplish what you're talking about. Hopefully you'll
be able to translate it to Mach II:

  <cfif structkeyexists(arguments.event.getCollection(),"id")>
   <cfset targetTemplate =
variables._transfer.get("template.template",arguments.event.getValue("id")
/>
  <cfelse>
   <cfset targetTemplate = variables._transfer.new("template.template") />
  </cfif>
  <!--- stuff the supplied values into the bean... --->
  <cfset variables._beanfactory.populateBean(targetTemplate) />
  <!--- commit changes to db... --->
  <cfset variables._transfer.save(targetTemplate) />
  <cfset retval = targetTemplate.getID() />