We do a lot of dynamic SQL generation and ran into some really odd
behavior with TQL parameters without the type attribute because the
value being passed in isn't converted to the right type by the JDBC
driver.

This is expected behavior with the current implementation.

I've resorted to getting the metadata of the object in the query and
using getPropertyByName().getType(), but this is rather long winded.

I propose allowing the type attribute of the setParam() function to
accept a dotted path to a property.

query.setParam(":1",now(),"attendee.Attendee.registrationDate")

At the very least this can be implemented in the t:queryparam tag
without changing the inside of Transfer at all and would make dynamic
TQL much easier, especially when refactoring and possibly changing
property types (ex. from numeric to date).