Hrm.. I need some advice for handling the determination of precision
for a given column type. For example.. In transfer config a numeric
property type sometimes equates to a SQL data type of numeric (8,0) ,
numeric (18,0) , numeric(18,2), numeric(18,8), or whatever.. same with
string types. I'm not sure if I'm missing an API somewhere else in
transfer which may help me make a determination of this, but I must
admit Transfer => DDL => SQL is a new way of thinking since I've
always been going from SQL => XML => Transfer.

Since I can not set property precision, length, or string limit
annotations in my transfer.xml definition.... and since high precision
of numerical values is important for me in my ultimate use cases.. I'm
trying to figure out the best way to accomplish this.

I see a few immediate options.. maybe you could help me see more:

1) My generator template must make assumptions about an Property's
data type based on some set of regex/naming/conventions...
2) I define my own object properties metadata else where and have the
generator pass its along with the object in writetemplate()..
3) Use the getNullValue() to make an assumption about the precision/
length of data the column will hold.

Overall, Here is where I find myself after your suggestion
yesterday...

A) I have a DDLGenerator.
B) I have two DDL templates,
      1) CREATETABLE: Used to Create a SQL Table with Columns for a
Object and Properties
      2) ALTERTABLE: Used to Alters a Table after Creation With It's
Relationship Constraints

I run my DDLGenerator with each template and I get two DDLs per
Object...

These scripts are validating in SQL2008.. haven't tried any other
databases yet.

Now, How do we tell the database to run the DDL scripts? Couldn't I
run cfquery with the DDL contents? Could Transfer Do This Work For Me?

Does any of this make sense? Am I at least on the right track?

Mark, I much appreciate your engagement in this topic.. and look
forward to hearing any thoughts you may have..