Hi,

> I havenĀ“t been able to install PyLucene in Debian
> Etch. There is a nice how-to at
> https://systemausfall.org/wikis/howto/PyLuceneOnDebian,
> but I get errors when I try to install jcc, so I can't
> use the latest version of pyLucene. (The error lies in
> the instalation of sun-java5-bin, perhaps because my
> system was Sarge, upgraded to Etch.)

I recently wrote that how-to. I would be happy, if you could solve your problem
and describe your solution there ...

Another option: maybe you could just install a fresh etch installation in a
chroot via debootstrap. There you can build it following the how-to. Afterwards
you could probably move the result of the build into your original sarge/etch
system. (just guessing ...)

> When I try to compile  PyLucene 2.2.0-1 with gcj, I
> can't seem to figure out how to configure the Makefile
> correctly. I have installed gcc 3.4 as recommended,
> but I can't figure out what is the proper value for
> GCJ_HOME in the Makefile. On my system, I don't have a
> directory at /usr/local/gcc-3.4.4 or anything similar.
> If anyone has compiled PyLucene on Debian Etch using
> gcj, could you please send me the Makefile that you
> used.

I am not sure, if I ever compiled PyLucene with gcj. But at least the following
binary package worked in my (also upgraded) sarge/etch system:

http://downloads.osafoundation.org/PyLucene/linux/ubuntu/6.06/PyLucene-2.2.0-1.tar.gz
You just need to move the content of the python directory to the appropriate
place.

I hope, that helps ...
Lars