Hi all,

Although I'm joining the discussion a little bit late, I see it very
interesting and it has raised some concerns I've thought of since I'm
a Pootle user. More comments below.

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 3:18 PM, Samuel Murray (Groenkloof)
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Clytie Siddall wrote:

(snip)

>>> 10.  Little question marks :-)  To help people learn Pootle easier, each
>>> link should be followed by a small [?] link that opens a user manual
>>> page that describes the purpose of that link.  Users who want to, could
>>> then disable those links via their account settings.
>>
>> This is basic HIG (Human Interface Guidelines), so we should definitely
>> do this. Pop-up frames to display the Help items.
>
> I agree that the help pages should open in new windows, but my
> preference would be that they are normal windows, not the JavaScript
> type of resized pop-up window.

Although my browser opens new windows in new tabs, personally I hate
this behaviour. In my opinion the user should control the way he/she
navigates pages, not the other way round.

It would be fancy to have popups like those displayed in a location on
Google Maps, for example. But does this break standard interaction
techniques? I think the use of JavaScript should be limited to the
cases where it's really necessary.

Look at some common design mistakes:
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/designmistakes.html

Also, adding [?] could overload the links and flood the page with
question marks, don't you think so?

We could make use of the "title" attribute of the anchor tag. Hey,
that's quite useful and nobody uses it! That would display a little
explanatory string for the current link.

(snip)

>>> 17. I wonder if we shouldn't move away from the use of the term
>>> "account" and use the more modern term "profile".
>
>> Many websites use this link to identify you more strongly with the
>> product. How about "My Pootle"?
>
> I have no objection -- and you're quite right about the brand awareness
> it creates.  But the "My {Product}" is usually used on static web sites
> where the rest of the site offers little or no interaction;  Pootle
> works different, because the entire site is interactive and the "My
> {Product}" section is simply a place where you change your account
> settings, but do nothing else.  But that's just my opinion.

I don't know which wording would be the best but I'd change its
position to the top-right edge of the page, and put it between "logged
in as %s" and "Log out". Also, I'd replace "logged in as %s" with
"%s", it's shorter and keeps its meaning.

Julen.