On Wo, 2008-06-18 at 18:20 +0930, Clytie Siddall wrote:
> Hi everyone :)
>
> No, I'm not going to discuss the drug problem. This is another user-
> feedback item from the OLPC list.
>
> The OLPC Pootle user was concerned that Pootle kept taking him through
> already-translated strings, when he only wanted to see the ones
> needing editing. Since we know that most people won't read docs, we
> really need a more intuitive interface.
>
> For example "Quick Translate" doesn't explain what it does. How about
> "Translate blank/fuzzy"? Then it would be obvious to the most doc-
> allergic user. (To make it briefer, if necessary, "Edit blank/fuzzy"?)

Yes, we definitely need to make this more discoverable. We had some wild
ideas in the office about UI reform for the project pages, and I would
summarise my current ideas like this (only high-level things):

We really want to do three main things, so we'll have three sections
(instead of the current stats/editing, checks, goals, assigns, etc.)

[Work] (might need a better name)
Statistics, goals, work assignment, download for offline translation,
etc.

[Translation]
Translate outstanding work (current quick translate)
Proofread (checks, searching, random clicks)

[Administration]
Rights management, version control functions, file management (delete,
add, etc. - mostly not implemented yet)

I think this should get us something more intuitive, simpler and easier
to use.  What do people think about this?

> Secondly, the user said:
>
> > In countries where sending data through the web can be time consuming,
> > this UI improvement would be great.  Sending data asynchronously with
> > AJAX (?) may also help.
>
> Is this useful? I said I would pass it on. Certainly we need to
> provide for people with very slow or hideously unreliable Net
> connections (Vietnam is a good example here :( ).

I'm quite in favour of this. I've translated online with such interfaces
(mostly pathetic on other regards) and it does make for a nice "feel".
It is a bit of work, but definitely not undoable.

Keep well
Friedel