Hi,

> > Does this solve bug 347 properly? (Do we now support the older versions
> > of git?) I would just like to document this properly.
>
> Unfortunately no:
>
> $ ~/git/git/git --git-dir git/setup/.git --work-tree git/setup add HACKING
> Unknown option: --work-tree
>
> $ ~/git/git/git --version
> git version 1.5.2
>
> for <1.5.3 you still need to manually chdir() to the repo, perform the
> operation and then chdir() back. And that's already done by
> http://bugs.locamotion.org/attachment.cgi?id=125&action=view ;-)

I am not sure, if I get the complete picture of the state of the git support.
Please correct me, if I am wrong about something:

1) the current implementation does not work without the "--work-tree" parameter
(e.g. with the two patches that were sent by Miklos (30.6.2008))

2) git v1.5.3 (or higher) behaves as expected -> it is specified/documented to
need both "--git-dir" and "--work-tree" for any operation outside of the
current directory

3) for git v1.5.2 (and before) we have to change to the (base of the?) local git
repository before executing git

If these three assumptions are valid, then I would see the following
alternative solutions:

A)
- applying Miklos patches to the current git support
- adding a second module for git support (e.g. git-1.5.2.py) that would
include the ugly os.chdir workarounds. We have to keep both in sync until
we will finally remove support for git<=1.5.2. The current module for the
Lucene indexing engine is splitted in a similar way, so I don't see problems in
implementing this.

B)
- adding the os.chdir workaround to the current git interface and removing all
occourences of --git-dir and --work-tree.

C)
- applying Miklos patches to the current git support
- ignoring incompatibility with git<=1.5.2

Personally I would prefer (A) over (B) due to the cleaner code (in the
long-term). But of course, I would not mind (B), too.
The current version of git in debian stable seems to imply that (C) is not a
good option for us, or?

Any opinions?

Lars