This comes from a discussion I just had with the maitnainers of dpkg
(the Debian package management utility), which we're about to add on
Debian'sPootle.

They want to give proper credit in their changelog file, to authors of
translations.

Tehrefore, they suggested using the "--author" switch of "git commit"
and put the translator's name there.

Would it be possible to use this, additionnally to what's already put
in the commit message?

It could even be possible to use the real name of the translator, and
not only his|her nickname on the Pootle server.