On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 13:45 -0500, Steve Herrick wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 8:08 AM, Dwayne Bailey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Its a mixed bag of people on this list.  All your questions are welcome.
>
> Great! Well, let me start with a doozy. Has there been any talk of
> somehow tying Pootle in with any of the better-known CMSs, like Drupal
> or Zope?

Nope.  But there are definite plans to port it to a better Python web
framework. This will get you most of the benefits you are thinking of.

> I know you're all working hard, including on the interface, but when I
> tried to install and use Pootle locally (and thinking about installing
> it remotely), I kept thinking that the parts I had a hard time with
> are things that Drupal, for example, makes really easy.  Let me be
> more specific:
>
> First, I installed using apt-get. That made it incredibly easy, of
> course, and even the prefs files only threw me off for a few minutes.
> The problem is, I don't have root access to my web space, which means
> that getting the dependencies in place will certainly be harder.

Not sure how we'll ever get around this one but we can currently run as
non-root. Although I haven't tested that for a while.

> Second, getting files out of Pootle is very easy, but getting them
> *in* is spectacularly difficult. In fact, I never did succeed at it,
> despite trying for over an hour, all the while scouring multiple
> sources of documentation.

Half-and-half.  You can upload any file into a project.  The problem
though is that you can't upload POT or template files.  In most of our
servers we want people to make direct checkins to a version control
system so we need command line access.

> My third issue is something you're already working on, which is
> getting ODF working. I'd be happy to help test this. I got the itools
> script to work, but ultimately, I'd love to see upload and conversion
> be a single step.

Please check out:
svn co
https://translate.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/translate/src/branches/translate/odf-xliff-first-try/
 translate

But you might want a packaged version, you'll need to wait a bit for
that.

The converter is actually separate from Pootle.  Upload and convert
built in would indeed be a cool feature.  Probably more evident by you
uploading an ODF and downloading the translated version.

> It wouldn't surprise me to hear you've considered CMS-ifying Pootle,
> and decided against it, but I'd be curious to hear why. Either way, I
> look forward to getting Pootle to work, and then watching it improve.

I guess I wouldn't use those words.  Making it easier to admin without
touching the server is definitely a goal though.  But there are some
less sexy underpinnings that we need to sort out mor urgently.

This includes:
* Merging Mozilla work (which is quite sexy actually)
* Migrating to a new web framework (not much visually, but sexy to
programmers)

At the end of those two steps Pootle will have rocket boosters attached
and I expect that it will be easier for others to contribute and help.

--
Dwayne Bailey
Associate                                      +27 12 460 1095 (w)

Recent blog posts:
* Spelling Rulz
http://www.translate.org.za/blogs/dwayne/en/content/spelling-rulz
* The birth of the GNU generation
* Firefox users experience discrimination