On 23/04/2010, at 10:40 PM, Leandro Regueiro wrote:

> Hi.
> Several days ago some people asked how we could localize Cocoa apps
> (Adium was the app). I don't know if you already have support for
> localizing these interfaces, but they may be interesting (iPhone for
> example uses these system). I run a fast search to get info about this
> system and I found that:
>
> http://maestric.com/doc/mac/cocoa/i18n
> http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/documentation/DeveloperTools/Conceptual/IB_UserGuide/LocalizingNibFiles/LocalizingNibFiles.html
> http://trac.adium.im/wiki/LocalizationHowTo

I would really love it if we could find a way to use Pootle to simplify the Mac
translation workflow.

Currently, we deal mostly with .strings files. The AppleGlot procedure is
laborious and hardly translator-friendly.

LocFactoryEditor converts between .strings and XLIFF, so that is viable.

.strings files look like this:

> /* Message when download a book already in your library */
> "'%@' is already in your library." = "'%@' đã có trong thư viện của bạn.";
>
> /* Book toolbar actions view title */
> "Actions" = "Hành vi";

There are no headers, footers or other file content, just string pairs with a
comment.

One of my Mac developers now sends me a group of XLIFF files, looking like this:

> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
> <xliff version="1.0">
>     <file original="Localizable.strings" source-language="en"
> target-language="Vietnamese">
>             <trans-unit id="AboutBoxThanks">
>                 <source>Registered to %@</source>
>                 <target>Đã đăng ký cho %@</target>
>             </trans-unit>
>             <trans-unit id="AboutBoxTitle">
>                 <source>About %@</source>
>                 <target>Giới thiệu về %@</target>
>             </trans-unit>

So far, Mac localization is a messy business. If you could simplify it for us,
people could start running Pootles dedicated to Mac translation, including the
huge mass of iPhone apps.

from Clytie

Vietnamese Free Software Translation Team