Hello Kim,

Basic approval requirements for radio devices are as follows:

Japan
Approval is issued by the Telecom Engineering Center (TELEC). In addition to a detailed application procedure that must be completed in Japanese and according to TELEC's format, testing of the equipment is required either at TELEC or at an accredited laboratory. There are no such laboratories outside of Japan right now. Testing is to standards published by the Association of Radio Industries and Businesses (ARIB).

We were asked to look at a device for Japan not long ago operating in the 433 MHz band and were told that the frequency was not available for that application. You should look into these specifics for your device (or have someone do it). Bluetooth should be no problem.

The applicant for the approval may be a foreign company.

Once the equipment is approved by TELEC it must be labeled accordingly.

Korea
Approval for radio equipment is issued by Radio Research Laboratory (RRL), which is organized under the Ministry of Information and Communications (MIC). The application procedure is handled all in Korean, and testing must be performed at RRL or an accredited laboratory. I don't know of any of these labs located outside Korea. Testing is to Korean national standards.

The applicant for the approval must be a Korean company.

Approved equipment must be labeled.

Taiwan
Approval is issued by the Directorate General of Telecommunications (DGT). Testing must be completed to the LP-0002 standard for low power devices by an accredited laboratory. There are laboratories in Taiwan, as well as some (perhaps only one?) recognized outside of Taiwan through the APEC TEL MRA or other MRAs.

The applicant for approval for most equipment must be a Taiwan company that holds a radio license.

Approved equipment must be labeled.

Singapore
Approval is issued by the InfoComm Development Authority of Singapore (IDA). Equipment must comply with the technical conditions of IDA standards (TS 14 for the RFID, TS SSS for the Bluetooth device), however IDA will not require testing of the equipment. They will review existing international test reports to grant the approval.

The applicant for approval must be a Singapore company that holds an IDA dealer's license.

Approved equipment must be labeled.

I hope this very basic information helps. By all means contact me off-list if you'd like to go into detail on products.

Best regards,

-Fred Borda
Compliance International