I've been trying to gather the information I need to generate a plan
for international deployment of a CENTRAL OFFICE SWITCH powered by -48VDC
with E1, OC-3 and OC-12 interfaces.  Many have responded and provided some
very useful information although there have been some discrepancies in the
information I have received thus far.  A majority of the confusion seems to
be differentiating between commercial products that connect to the PSTN and
C.O. Equipment which is installed in the PSTN.  My concerns are the latter.
I realize that some regions are difficult to assess until you've gone
through the process.  So, it would be greatly appreciated if some of you out
there that have endured this pain in these regions that I'm about to list
would provide some input (and indicate whether this is from experience or
not).  I am interested in in gathering the requirements for (1) What's
required to get a product in for a lab trial and (2) what's required to ship
for revenue.  I'll post what information (or misinformation) I have now and
please feel free to comment.  Any and all input is welcome.

China
MII (Network Access License) Required
CCC (Safety, EMC and Lightning) Certs Required (I was under the impression
this product was outside of the scope, though)
Must be a registered Chinese company to hold certs
All tests must be performed in China - Lead time 6 months
Test fees $25K - probably need local rep to assist
All docs translated to Chinese
Unknown what's required for Lab Trials

South Africa
SABS (accepts IEC CB and CISPR 22 reports), ICASA (accepts reports from
accredited labs?) and SATRA certs required for revenue shipments
No requirements for lab trials
Non-Resident Company can hold certs

Singapore
TAS approval Required?
PSB approval Required?
No requirements for Lab Trials?

Taiwan
DGT and BSMI certs required
No requirements for Lab Trials

Poland
PCBC required

Europe
CE Mark Required (ETSI 300 386-2, EN 60950)
Mixed responses on lab trials (most responses are safety report with
declaration/prominent notice of non-compliance is OK)

Japan
No mandatory safety or EMC certs (I have or will have IEC CB Scheme Report
as well as CISPR 22)
JATE not required as C.O. Equipment does not fall under the scope

        My apologies for the long-winded email, but I wanted to be clear
this time around.

Thx,

Joe

*********************************