From: Andre, Pierre-Marie [mailto:pierre-marie.an...@intel.com]
Sent: Monday, March 17, 2003 5:28 AM
To: emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org; treg@world.std.com
Subject: Dark Fiber and Regulation

Hi there,

Could somebody bring some light (!) on the so called "Dark Fiber" offering.

Here is one definition I found :

Dark fiber is optical fiber infrastructure (cabling and repeaters) that is
currently in place but is not being used. Optical fiber conveys information
in the form of light pulses so the "dark" means no light pulses are being
sent

"Dark fiber service" is service provided by local exchange carriers (LECs)
for the maintenance of optical fiber transmission capacity between customer
locations in which the light for the fiber is provided by the customer
rather than the LEC.

My question :

The LAN product I am looking for regulation is conform to IEEE 802.3z,so the
interface have been defined.

Is there any standards or technical specifications for the "Dark Fiber"
infrastructure ?

Should I ask to each Dark Fiber Provider to get this info ?

Best regards

Pierre-Marie Andre
Senior Approval Engineer