From: treg-approval
To: treg
Subject: IEC 950 / UL 1950 creepage and clearance requirements
Date: Thursday, May 08, 1997 3:01PM

     To any and all safety gurus,

        I am in the midst of trying to minimize the creepage and clearance
     requirements between TNV and SELV called out in IEC 950.  My
     interpretation of tables 5 and 6 in sections 2.9.2. and 2.9.3 are that
     minimum clearance is 2.0mm and minimum creepage is 2.5mm.  This is
     based on a global design using up to 250V mains, pollution degree 1 &
     2 and Material Group IIIa + IIIb.  The application is for Class I as
     well as Class II systems.

        I could not find a reference explaining the definition of the
     Material Groups and would appreciate any insight into a clause, etc.
     which I could reference to reduce these spacing requirements.  Please
     also advise if you are in need of further details.

     Thx,

     Joe

     Joe Finlayson
     Manager, Compliance Engineering