Hello Pete,

     a signal delayed by less than 5-8 milliseconds causes a hollowness. If
     the delay is less than 2 milliseconds the human ear cannot detect an
     echo.
     The awareness of echo depends of course on (the combination of)
     various effects, e.g. the frequency response and sidetone masking
     rating (STMR) of the sidetone path.
     You can find some information on effects related to sidetone in the G
     series papers of the ITU-T.

     Best regards

     Volker

     -------
     Volker Sypli
     Regulatory Authority for Telecommunications and Posts
     Canisisusstr. 21
     D 55122 Mainz

     Tel.: +49 61 31 18 22 34
     Fax.: +49 61 31 18 56 08