From: richard.pa...@exgate.tek.com
Subject: RE: Label requirement for conectors

Mr. Jensen /All:

In my copy of Directive 91/263/EEC,  in Article 2 (which talks about
equipment not intended for connection to public telecom networks), at the
end of the first paragraph is a reference to Article 11 (4). In the 4th
paragraph of Article 11 is a requirements for affixing the symbol specified
in Annex VII. The symbol in Annex VII is the circle with a slash over the
crossed hockey sticks, which could be understood to mean "prohibited
connection".

However, these paragraphs are all really directed towards an entire product
that is not intended for connection, but which is capable of connection (to
the public network, of course). I don't find any guidance on individual
connectors which are not intended to be connected, but I have heard of
people using the same symbol from Annex VII to indicate that a specific
connector is not intended to be connected.

I don't know how this would stand with a Notified Body or regulatory
authority in the EU.

I should point out though, and would be interested to read comments from
others on the new R&TTE Directive (99/5/EC, if I understand correctly). I do
not see the same requirement for marking of products not intended for
connection in the R&TTE. I also do not find the "prohibited connection"
symbol described or referred to anywhere in the R&TTE Directive. There does
not seem to be any requirement for any marking of products not intended for
connection to the public network.

Although, I must admit I have only had time to skim through it once. If
anyone else could shed light in this area, I would be interested to learn
more.

Hope that helps some.

Regards,

Richard Payne