On Sun, 5 Mar 2000, Dave wrote:

> Hi people,
>
> I am interested in getting the floppy-based Trinux, which runs entirely
> in RAM, to be able to log data which persists over boots.  I was
> thinking it would be nice to have Trinux log syslog & klog data (in
> addition to a tty) to another machine's hard drive and also to be able
> to send email if specific events occurred.  That way if Trinux crashed
> or needed a reboot the logged data would be safe on another machine.
>
> I'm wondering if anyone has set something like this up and any ideas on
> this topic would be gratefully accepted.  Ideally it would also be good
> to try and insure a secure connectino from the Trinux machine to the
> logging machine, and also be able to automate the rotating of logs.

1.  Logfile (or any file) persistence/management will definitely be
needed, particularly as we begin to rollout Trinux configurations with IDS
capabilities.

2.  Secure logging is probably less of an issue because I really don't see
Trinux deployed in extremely hostile environments (i.e. on the perimeter)
so standard syslog IMO should suffice.  I had syslogd/klog working one or
twice about six months ago but there are some weird problems with it so
syslog support will probably have to wait until 0.7x (which will be based
on glibc2.1/Slackware 7)

3.  Email alerts are something that will also be necessary.  Very early
(0.3x) versions did include smtpd.  What is needed is a small (no more
than 100k or so in the .tgz) mailer (or forwarder) that does not require
sendmail, qmail, etc.  We may end up using the python SMTP modules for
this.

-mdf
 Matthew D. Franz                                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Trinux: A Linux Security Toolkit                        www.trinux.org
 "We Russians don't drink any more. We now work on computers, we use
  computers to send viruses to the West and then we poach your money.
  We have the best hackers in the world..."
                                              - Vladimir Zhirinvosky

www.trinux.org hosted by The Vnode Connector Services
www.vnode.com *** Special Discounts For Trinux Users
*** Email [EMAIL PROTECTED]