I support re-use/recycling as well. Our posts here pit environmentalism against civil liberties. This frames the issue in a strange way:

It suggests that our tiny community of free-software users could abandon their cause --civil liberties-- to contribute to the environment's well being.

The environment has bigger problems than our tiny free software community. It has consumer culture generally, including non-free users, to contend with.

Maybe a good compromise (every decision to use technology is a compromise with the environment) would be to buy free hardware, and commit to using it for as long as possible.