I agree with icarolongo: you cannot honestly write that "proprietary (non-free) formats *require* counsel and accused people to install proprietary software".

It is true that, in theory, it is harder to get free software codecs to read a format whose specifications are not freely available. However, in practice, the best MPEG4 decoder is in VLC, a free software program.

The risk is that, at some point, using their patents, MPEG LA sues the VideoLAN project and other free software projects to force them to stop distributing codecs for their formats. If that happens, people who value their freedoms will stop reading those formats (including videos stored on their system in those dangerous formats). Other people would feel the need for proprietary a video player...

I did not understand in what way "confidentially" is related to patent-unencumbered formats.

Something that I believe is missing in your letter is a quick explanation of what is a "free format". Your sentence "By “free” here, I mean certain freedoms, and not price" is too vague. I would rather write: "Free, in 'free format', means the freedoms for anyone to read the technical specifications of the format, to implement it and to use it. Free formats guarantee the interoperability today and for the foreseeable future. On the contrary, non-free formats are like trade secrets and impose a particular software solution to be properly used. To hide the specifications of the format, that solution necessarily denies the freedom for the user to access the source code of the program, a fundamental freedom: https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html";

I would explain as well what is a software patent: "In addition, non-free formats usually are protected by software patents. That means a company (sometimes doing only that) can sue any software developer who implemented the format or even any mere user of the format. Those risks further hinder interoperability. In the case of video formats, this risk is not merely theoretical: MPEG LA is known to aggressively use its patents on the MPEG formats: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG_LA";