I've also looked into using Enlightenment 17. They have a specific layout for small touch screen devices and for the most part it works pretty well. What's more is that it seems like you could modify it further without too much trouble. Also Enlightenment is known for its eye candy. Eye candy is not necessary but it never hurts when it doesn't impact performance, and in E17 it really doesn't impact performance.

My ultimate goal is to install something in my car that is very usable and feature-rich but runs as much free software as is possible. If I can't do it in free software then I won't be doing it basically. I'll update this thread when I have more progress...