В 22:18 +0100 на 01.01.2014 (ср), hampton...@gmail.com написа:
> a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage
>
> ***STOP: 0X00000024 (0X00190203, 0X8A7619F8, 0X0000102,0X00000000)
>
> I ran chkdsk /f from the Linux side and it came up with no problems.

Normally you wouldn't receive help for such problems here, because
using proprietary software is your own problem, but since you are a
newcomer and you are considering/decided to give up free software at
all, the following might help.

I've seen something similar last year as a part of educational project
in a high school. GNU/Linux was installed side by side to some version
of Windows, which wasn't able to boot. The problem was in the NTFS
partition that Windows used. We were able fix it from GNU/Linux by
running some NTFS-related utilities. I assume (I forgot) they were the
ntfsfix and ntfsck programs coming from the ntfs-3g package.

If that is the case, you probably can't mount the NTFS partition on
GNU/Linux.

Assuming the device is sda and the Windows partition is the first one:

sudo fdisk  -l /dev/sda

/dev/sda1            2048      409599      203776   86  NTFS volume set

sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt

_Some error_

or

sudo ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt

_Some error_

If it mounts, unmount the partition with:

sudo umount /mnt

If there is no error you can still try to fix the partition with
ntfsfix. Try the dry-run first.

sudo ntfsfix -n /dev/sda1

If there is nothing scary looking, execute the command without the -n option.

sudo ntfsfix /dev/sda1

Try the ntfsck program as well

sudo ntfsck /dev/sda1

Reboot.

If you don't use any specialized software on Windows you
should be able to live without it. It will be a little awkward at the
beginning. That is all. Good luck.