One important thing I forgot to add is that, from my experience, there are two main categories of partially free software:
one that can be liberated, and
one that cannot be

The first category make use of parts, that can be cut out without seriously affecting the program functionality (e.g. HandBrake, PlayOnLinux). The other one is built around a non-free binary, or code, which is essential for proper operation (e.g. f.lux indicator applet, XaraLX). This is the main reason why calling the second category simply "non-free software" isn't a good idea.