To clarify, many GNU/linux distros don't install a firewall in default install. IN my opinion that is a bad choice, because while many people who came from windows have no idea about SSH, most know about firewall and will activate it if they have one. Also, I have already expressed why I think it is necessary to have a firewall in your system. Gufw is very easy to use and still allows you to manage everything you might want to. So, good thing you followed that advice Ronald.

HTTPS Everywhere is a MUST. It will make sure that you use encryption on thousands of websites, which will prevent anyone watching your connection from knowing what you are doing. Note, they can still see what websites you connect to. For example, using http one can see you used duckduckgo to search for baby kittens for example. Using https one can see you connected to duckduckgo but can't see the search you made. So, that is a lot safer. If you want to hide which websites you visit and not be tracked online by ads and such, use the Tor browser bundle (www.torproject.org)

Also, I would suggest Noscript addon for Abrowser. Even if you allow all javascript it will prevent XSS attacks and such. So it's a must too. Add adblock edge and adblock pop-up and you are good to go.

Other good software for you to use in GNU/Linux are:
-rkhunter (really easy to use and it takes a few minutes to run);
-chkrootkit;
-ClamTK (windows viruses don't affect GNU/Linux, but it allows to know if the source you are using to get files online is as safe as you think);
-tiger;
-DenyHosts (prefer this over Fail2Ban);

Well, this is it. Remember, stay safe online ;)