That is actually a very good question that I have been wondering. With the wireless system inside a computer being like an invisible bridge to connect other systems, it might not be totally paranoid to think that a hardware hack could attack a computer through that. I am not talking about "service X running and listening to data coming from other PC". I mean like "sending certain signals that would make the hardware itself react in certain ways, enabling certain spying activity". But for that the only solution would be open-source hardware with a thorough security audit.
Or maybe the NSA guys know :P

Anyway, for now, the best is to have ufw configured to deny all incoming connections. Disable remote access and maybe install DenyHosts. No more ideas :S