Display Resolution Problem on Toshiba Sat L830

Guys, I'm new to Linux & non-technical. After looking into alternatives to MicroNSF/Windoze I decided on Trisquel on principle. I fully realise that, based on popular Ubuntu, its probably already back-doored.

I managed to get my head around Virtual Box & ran Trisquel in it for a few months to familiarise myself & only fully installed recently. I had no idea certain things might not work with a full install.

Wireless is now ok. I have a 13” Toshiba Sat L830, with 16:9 screen, which Trisq can't seem to connect to. The default 4:3 is unworkable – everything elongated. Also, Brightness settings work, but screen is not as bright, on max setting, as before.

Is there an easy way around this?

Alternatively, if the solution is very technical, could someone detail the process for me so, if stuck, I could at least take the info to a computer shop & get it done . . .

Any help appreciated.

I tried Linux Mint with no problems + screen was brighter, however, I would much prefer to use FSF endorsed Trisquel & support those I consider to be good guys.

Would be great if Trisquel could get to the point where it worked more seemlessly out of the box for non-technical users like myself. This would mean a much greater uptake, more donations and, ultimately, far more demand for non-compromised hardware.