Let's keep in mind that using Tor for bittorrent for example is just plainly stupid, as it will provide little if any anonimity. I agree with everything else that has been said, Tor needs to be a tool used for everyday browser, so that the "sensitive browsing" done by activists and such becomes "hidden" and "obfuscated" in the middle of it. However, that requires the Tor network to grow (running relays and funding projects like torservers.net). Also, it is important to notice the work that needs to be done in the Tor software itself (the work done to improve scalability really paid off lol otherwise we would be crushed by the botnet thing), because the better the Tor network is handled by the software the less chances are that an attack might bring it down. Good thing they are doing their work on it ;) just check their latest blog update.