I'm sorry, but I believe that must not be correct. According to https://tails.boum.org/doc/about/license/index.en.html all their software is free software, and IIRC they even got rid of TrueCrypt some time ago (because of the issues with it). Also, since this is based on Debian main distro, I believe there would be no blobs (since Debian removes those from the kernel). I might be wrong in this one, maybe TAILS puts them back in, but I don't see any indication of that anywhere (please provide a source if you can). With all this in mind, I would consider TAILS as a free distro (at least as free as Debian itself, which is another debate) and the BEST tool to use in terms of OpSec. Actually, it is a good example to follow if you want to learn self-defense. For example, some of the software they use (MAT, KeePassX, etc) are available in the repositories and you should use them! :)

I am right now in the process of trying to convert Debian (native Debian, not any rebranded distro) into a more secure and privacy oriented system. I have decided that using Tor is not enough, so I started by taking a look at TAILS and Whonix to get some ideas. I have also started to work with grsecurity and AppArmor for improved security. the mempo project is also a good place to get some ideas. All in all, there are many little things you can and should do to improve your security online, without having to become a cracker (you have to be a hacker however to do this kind of thing, which means you have to think creatively and try to come up with new fun ways of doing things). There are also some good talks from GNU hackers meetings, Defcon and HOPE talks, that you could watch to learn the basics. I could provide some links if you want :)