"This alleges that it's possible to focus on a particular house/room, from outside, and be able to tell what's being typed - without any physical connection."

Ok, for the last time: this is NOT possible. It's against the laws of physics, and every physicist on the whole world can tell you this. The NSA can't move faster than the speed of light, can't create energy out of nothing, and clearly can't transmit information without any physical connection. The articles you're probably talking about use the term "physical connection" referring to some kind of wire or internet access, no one ever doubted that the information has to be transmitted somehow. I hope this non-sense is now clarified once and for all. For further reading, I recommend any physics textbook.