I successfully configured the VPN options and imported the configuration files but when I try to connect from the GUI it says "connection failed because of invalid VPN secrets" I've searched for a solution for this but haven't really come up with much that's helpful.

I think it's because I don't have root access.

In the terminal if I try the connection without giving myself root access "openvpn" fails.

But if I try it after giving myself root access I can connect from the command line with:

openvpn --config filename

Just not sure how to make this work with the GUI VPN tool...any thoughts?