@Magic Banana

This is pretty frustrating...sigh, still no progress. I used sudo vi to insert and save what you suggested into /etc/rc.local. Then rebooted, still coming up to terminal on boot.

Is there any harm in using sudo service lxdm start longterm? I was hoping to take this laptop with me on a trip, and at this point I don't have much more time to invest fiddling with it. It's inconvenient, but with just a couple extra steps I do manage to get to the desktop where I can use Midori...I just want to be able to check my email while away... ):(